Re: [ajug-members]: FreeBSD

Barry,

The reason I asked about 64 bit BSD was to see if it was keeping pace
with Linux and it's 64 bit kernel.

I think this fall/autumn will see an interesting development when it
comes to deployment of J2EE apps. Here's the background behind my
thinking:

We already have screaming fast dual Opteron 64 bit 1U rackmount servers
with all the bells & whistles, available for $3,000 running 64 bit
Linux. Kernel 2.6 resolved some of the threading issues with Linux (I
hear that the JRockit JVM was the fastest Linux JVM due to it's work
around threading issues on kernel 2.4). Sun's promised a 64 bit Linux
JVM along with the release of Tiger.

The upshot of this is that if you stack Open Source App. Servers such as
JBoss on commodity hardware and lots of it, $ 4 $, you'll likely exceed
the performance and reliability (through redundancy) of the cost of the
proprietary app. servers from the major vendors.

To me it seems that the value point for the major vendors app. servers,
is going to be the ease of configuration, deployment & maintenance. If I
can get my app. out the door, into production and maintain it, for
significantly less than JBoss et al, then there's a good incentive to
buy.

Of course the other strategy for the major vendors is to lock in the
need for the production server, through the development process.

Back to BSD & Linux... I'm not sure if the forthcoming 64 bit Linux JVM
is Sun proprietary, or if they're releasing it in conjunction with
Blackdown.org. I'm not too up on the BSDs... do you know where their
JVMs come from and any rumors of a 64 bit BSD JVM?