Re: [ajug-members]: SOAP Question

--- Christopher Fowler <cfowler@outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> I have an embedded device that was created with C and Linux.  I would
> like to execute processes on the devices from the J2EE application.  Is
> my best solution SOAP?

Well, I guess it really depends on what interfaces are available to communicate with the C
application.  I imagine that you have serveral options:

If the C application presents a web interface of some kind, then SOAP may be your best option.
If the C application provides a web-services interface, then you might want to look at JAX-RPC or
Apache Axis.
If the calls will be performed on the same machine (not across a network), then JNI may be your
best bet (an alternative that my co-worker recently introduced me to is gcj -
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/cni-2.txt)

I'm sure there are other alternatives as well.  Other factors will probably factor into the
decision, such as performance issues.

WM