Re: [ajug-members]: open source software install tool?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:29:38 -0400
"Joe Bonds" <joe@joebonds.com> wrote:

> Have you considered Sun's Web Start?  If you distribute your swing app as a
> signed jar, you can escape the sandbox restrictions.  If you distribute you
> swing app as an unsigned jar, the webstart api has features for dodging most
> of the sandbox restrictions.  The big plus is that distribution of updates
> is then automatic.  You can even permit the app to be used without
> connection to the internet.

Joe,

A good idea...but initially we want to handle JRE installation behind the scenes...we can't assume the user already has it installed or will take the steps necessary to install it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

John