Re: byte, short and int

Excerpted from the Java Language Specification 2nd edition, section 4.2

"The integral types are byte, short, int, and long, whose values are 8-bit,
16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit signed two's-complement integers, respectively,
and char, whose values are 16-bit unsigned integers representing Unicode

The floating-point types are float, whose values include the 32-bit IEEE
754 floating-point numbers, and double, whose values include the 64-bit
IEEE 754 floating-point numbers."

For more details, refer to

Internally, each JVM implementation may choose to map the Java types to
whatever native types they want so long as no loss of precision and/or Java
byte code portability occurs.