Re: IDE on Linux

Eclipse is picky because the GUI is based on SWT = a native toolkit (as
opposed to Swing which is light weight and emulate). For me, this is it's
biggest strength because once it is running, it fits in perfectly with the
desktop environment and is totally indistinguishable from native
applications. Being native, it is provides for a very snappy user
interface. I did initially try Netbeans/Forte but thought this was a
complete hog (admittedly, Eclipse is no slim Jim either ;-)

Linux consistency is an issue. For example, my Linux != your Linux, whereas
my Windows XP == your Windows XP.

A developer's environment is a personal thing. The good thing is with Java
we have a choice. Our choices should not be inflicted and forced upon
others. If someone insists on using Notepad and the DOS prompt to knock out
Java code - fair play to them. I too used to use Emacs + JDE. Over the
years, I've never been a big fan of IDEs. I have flirted with them in the
past but didn't like losing aspects of control to the IDE. I converted to
Eclipse because a) it's free b) it's stable c) all the major tool vendors
have signed up to the Eclipse consortium d) it is unobtrusive e) it is
extensible f) gazillions of plug-ins are available g) It is powerful h) It
integrates exceptionally well with Ant, CVS and JUnit i) I like the code
assist features j) It is not based on Swing h) It is not bloated - I plug
in what I want i) It has a future.

Jason