Re: IDE on Linux

Jason,

I did use "unzip" to unzip the Eclipse distribution.  In fact, I used
exactly the same technique on RedHat 7.1 where it did run correctly and
RedHat 8.0 where it would not start at all.  However, I was using the
Motif version.  Perhaps, this is the source of the problem.  Searches on
the mailing list for Eclipse and RedHat 8.0 produced a number of issues
with regard  to both the Gtk and the Motif version in terms of controls
being misplaced on the display.  The consensus was that the Gtk version
had fewer problems than the Motif version.    Being a Java developer, I
strive to make my software run on all platforms and all reasonable
versions of Linux.  So, I expect my tools to follow the same philosophy.

Cindy