RE: The business case for using a linux client versus a windows client

Lindows is worth looking into.  You can save a lot of money on both hardware and software.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Millson [mailto:mgm@atsga.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 4:51 PM
To: Atlanta Java Users Group
Subject: RE: The business case for using a linux client versus a windows
client

1) Working w/ a Linux Client builds your skills for interacting w/ the
server environment where your Java application will be deployed. I have
never worked on a Java project where the application was deployed on NT (for
good reason, I would add). Working on a Linux box builds your skills to be
able to interface w/ the server where the application will be deployed.
2) Linux comes w/ sftp, ssh, dig, etc. All these tools are VERY useful
during development and do not come standard w/ Windows  as far as I know.
3) The obvious: Windows is more expensive per client due to hardware and
software fees, despite the number of surveys that M$ commissions trying to
prove the opposite.
4) I think it makes business sense shun companies that break the law such as
Enron, Worldcom, and convicted monopolists like M$. If they cannot respect
the law, they certainly are not going to respect their customers.

Mike