Applet sizing

I have a question about sizing an applet. I'm a relative beginner and trying to write a simple applet with a couple of buttons and text boxes. The problem is that I can't get the applet to size itself to fit the applet box that is created by HTML. I originally tried it with BorderLayout and GridLayout, which didn't work. Someone told me I need to use a layout that re-sizes, so I switched to GridBagLayout, but it still doesn't work. No matter what height and width I set in the HTML <applet> tag, my applet doesn't re-size. I have checked in three different programming books, and none of them explain how to fix this problem. Can someone tell me the correct way to handle this problem?

Daryl Polster