From: John D. Mitchell [mailto:johnm-advanced-java@non.net]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 1:35 PM
To: John Camerin
Cc: ajug-members@ajug.org
Subject: RE: Java certification: is it worthwhile?

> I disagree... in this world of lousy, buggy code, its nice to know not
> only that people can write the code, but that they understand some of
> fundamentals of writing good code.

Alas, that's not what passing those certifications actually show.  This
precisely analogous to the insanity around things like the various
"standardized" testing for school kids.  Horrible.

Even when I've been hiring interns and people just out of school, the
that showed through is the attitude of people who are passionate about
they are doing.  Those sorts of engaged people do things (like doing
projects, however small, to help them learn and grow) and can talk about

Take care,