RE: HashMap Troubles

I tried following and both the string and reference to string prints the values correctly. Hope this is of some help:
//HashMapExample
import java.util.*
public class HashMapExample
{
 public static void main(String [] args)
 {
  HashMap hm = new HashMap();

  //String values
  String name = new String("name");
  String my_name = new String("myName");
  hm.put("name", "myName");

 // String reference for the key
  String home = new String("1000 North Spring, Atlanta GA");
  hm.put("address", home);

  // String reference for key and value
  String ph = new String("phone");
  String num = new String("180077777777");
  hm.put(ph, num);

  System.out.println(hm.get("name"));
  System.out.println(hm.get("address"));
  System.out.println(hm.get(ph));

  }
}

"HashMapExample.java" 30 lines, 651 characters
XXXX/java/collect>javac HashMapExample.java
XXX/java/collect>java HashMapExample
myName
1000 North Spring, Atlanta GA
180077777777