Applet communicates with Serial Port

Hello All,

I need to write an Applet that talks to a serial port and sends some
information back to the server.  Is it possible for an applet to talk to a
serial port?  If yes, how can I approach it?
Also, can an applet run on WindowsCE using PocketIE as a web-based
application (not local)?  The current PocketIE does not support applet.  Is
there any way that I can get around or is there any third party software to
plug in to make it works?

Has anyone done these before?  Please give me some hints.
Thank you so much, Lan Vo.