Re: Java Swing Vs Visual Basic Application !!

Dean,

This is a large corporation which already has a well-established deployment
mechanism.  The deployment of our application is just one small part of the
applications that they deploy based on a regular release schedule.  In fact our
application is launched by one of their legacy apps which is written in some
old 4GL.  So the deployment of our application has to occur at the same time as
the deployment of their legacy application.    Basically, the client deploys to
shared drives which are located in numerous centers across the country.  The
workstation runs the application from the shared drive.  We also have 2
AIX middle-tier production servers for RMI access to back-end repositories.

We have looked at Java Webstart as a way to deploy applications which are not
so strictly tied to legacy systems; however,  this does not work on all of the
platforms which are used by the client.

In the future, we are looking at using other technologies like servlets;
however, the cilent is used to certain features on the workstation which seem
difficult to reproduce using servlets alone.  For example, there is a lot of
context-sensitive editing and fancy printing to local printers.  We have
considered JavaScript for some of the client-side editing; however, JavaScript
seems somewhat inconsistent across different browsers and different platforms.
This may change in the future, but right now, Windows is still only a minor
deployment platform.    We will probably consider some combination of servlets
and applets (using the Java Plug-in).

Cindy