RE: any junior positions?

I am the Corporate Recruiter for a company with 25 Java Software Engineers.
We focus on hiring top talent that will fit into our team environment and be
effective in an XP shop.  We do test people on their Java skills (an
internal test that one of our managers developed) but we also take into
consideration their skills sets prior to beginning Java.  Some of our top
Engineers came from C/C++ environments with some Java.  When we hire we
would rather hire smart people with a solid foundation than hire people that
can just code.

I know there are many other companies out there with this same opinion - in
fact we loosened up some of our Java requirements based on advice from AJUG
members.

We use outside agency recruiters when it is necessary but it has been an
employers market place for several months.  For the skill sets we are
looking for we don't need outside help right now BUT the market will change.
I hate to hear candidates shy away from good contingency recruiters -
believe me they don't want to screen people out - they would love to place
everyone - but they to are limited on the job orders they have to fill.
They are feeling the same effects of the market - their hiring authorities
have become more picky - they are having to find "needles in the haystack"
in order to earn their fees.   Some recruiters do have the inside track on
fantastic positions so you should stick with good recruiters - however, you
should not ever depend solely on a recruiter - a recruiter should supplement
the search you are doing on your own.

This is a difficult market to find new positions period - there are
companies hiring but not at the pace of the last several years.  Your
frustration may be able to be blamed on transitioning to new technologies
and languages but it could also be that the entire IT market place has
tightened up.

Shanon O'Toole
Corporate Recruiter
MediaOcean, Inc.